Thursday, February 5, 2009

Conversational Dyslexia


The title alone should tell you what I mean. I hope I'm not the only one with this crippling albeit amusing handicap.

I can't tell you how many times someone is telling me all about something and as they continue with whatever it is they're talking about, my mind drifts, (maybe it's because of the 50 other things I have going on at the time, who knows), but by the time I snap back to attention they've said something that makes absolutely no sense based on how they started the conversation. Then they laugh or get annoyed and have to repeat it, or say one key word I totally missed.

There are also the times when a subject comes up, and then another one, and then another one, and I get a thought about the first one and say it out-loud only to have everyone look at me with that imaginary question mark across their face, (although, I'd rather see that than the VACANCY sign drop down between their eyes. I hate that). Or what about the times when you blurt out something that occurs to you based on something someone, (or yourself), said earlier and no one gets it?

Or those wonderful moments when you're mind is really going. I mean, going so fast and strong that if you don't get it all out right then your entire train will derail and you just know you won't be able to salvage the pieces, and if you try you sound like a blubbering idiot.

I'm just wondering if any of these things happen to anyone else. If not, well then, they don't happen to me either, I'm just curious. :P